Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Eye Project

So, in my last post I said that my eyesight has deteriorated. My left eye is -0.75D and my right eye is -0.25D, and although I know it’s still considered OK, I’m afraid that it’ll get even worse, and I don’t want that to happen. An optometrist prescribed me specs, and I bought them, but I’ve heard that your vision will get worse if you wear your glasses all the time. After searching this internet, I found out that this was actually because:

Minus glasses make objects far away look closer to you, and so, if you wear glasses all the time, your eyes will adjust to your specs and will be unable to view objects far away. I also heard that your eyesight deteriorates because you look at close objects too long, and so, your eyes become unable to focus on objects far away. Eyes are like the rest of our body. If you haven’t gone jogging in a long time, it will take some time for your body to be able to jog faster and for a longer distance. Actually, some websites say that the saying ‘Wearing glasses all the time will cause your vision to worsen’ is totally wrong, because if doctors give you prescriptions for specs, then why would it hurt our eyes? Technically, this is logical. But maybe, it’s because doctors or researchers or whoever it is haven’t found out a way to really support that statement, and so, they have to go with the saying that ‘You should wear glasses all the time’. Anyway, I haven’t found any really definite statistics on whether glasses worsen your eyesight or not.

I kind of agree and support with the statement that minus glasses worsen your eyesight. The thing is, my parents wore specs when they were in university. Probably only around -1.00D each eye. After that, they never wore glasses anymore, and up to now, their eyes haven’t got worse. My theory behind this is that in university, you are required to read and study a lot, which means that there’s gonna be a lot of short-distance eye focusing and stuff. And so, your eyes become focused to looking at close objects and hence, the minus glasses. I’m kind of going through the same condition now. Although I’m not in university, the current education system I’m going through also requires me to study a lot. Moreover, I like to spend my time browsing the internet, so I guess I should have expected the glasses anytime soon considering that sometimes I like to read at really close distances.

Another example is my friend in Pei Hwa. She’s supposed to wear glasses as her eyes are around -1.00D or more, and she started having a blurry vision around 4 years ago. I asked her, and she said that she only wears specs when she really can’t see, and her vision hasn’t gotten worse since then. So this is another example to support my stand.

However… There are cases whereby people who used to have perfect eyesight suddenly don’t, and because they don’t do anything about it (meaning: wear specs), their eyesight gets worse. Take for example my cousin. His vision started to get blurry but he didn’t ask his parents to buy him specs. As a result, his eyes got worse. So I’m kind of in a dilemma right now. But I guess I’m still gonna support my stand. Anyway, I don’t think my eyesight will get to -2.00D any time soon. It’ll probably take a year (I guess) or so until it gets that worse right? So… I’m gonna try a couple of eye exercises to improve my vision. I’m gonna do this as a sort of research, so I’ll be posting blog posts on this project.

So here are the eye exercises I’m gonna do:

Palming

§ Rub your hands together until warm (approximately 15 to 30 seconds). Cup your hands and then place them over your closed eyes, ensuring to make sure your nose stays uncovered. Your fingers should overlap and rest gently on the center of your forehead.

§ Make sure no light is able to enter your eyes, you may still see lingering traces of colors.

§ After two or three minutes you should see nothing but blackness, remove your palms from your eyes. Repeat the above steps if necessary.

Near-Far Focus

§ Hold your thumb six inches (15 centimeters) from your nose.

§ Use your eyes to focus on the tip of your thumb.

§ Take one or two deep breaths and exhale slowly.

§ Focus on any object approximately 10 feet (3 meters) away.

§ Take another one or two deep breaths and slowly exhale.

§ Repeat the above steps 10-20 times.

Closing the Eyes

§ Close your eyes tightly for 3-5 seconds

§ Open your eyes for 3-5 seconds

§ Repeat 8-12 times

Massage Your Eyes

§ Wash your hands.

§ Close your eyes.

§ Massage your eyes using circular motions, ensuring you press very gently to avoid any damage.

§ Continue for 1-2 minutes, repeat the above steps after a five or ten minute break.

Roll Your Eyes

§ Sit down and relax.

§ Roll your eyes clockwise and then counter clockwise.

§ Blink

§ Repeat 5-10 times

Hold the Pencil

§ Hold a pencil arms length in front of you.

§ Move your arm slowly towards your nose.

§ Follow the tip of the pencil with your eyes until you can no longer keep it in focus.

§ Repeat up to 10 times.

Up-Down Eye Movements

§ Face forwards.

§ Without moving your head focus your eyes as high as they can go.

§ Then slowly move your eye line down to as low as they can go, without moving your head.

§ Repeat above 8-10 times.

§ Do the same exercise, but instead of the up/down movement instead do a side to side movement.

Focus on Distance

§ Focus on an object in the distance (more than150 feet or 50 meters away) for several seconds.

§ Refocus your eyes on a closer object (within 30 feet or 10 meters away) for several seconds. It’s important that this closer object is in the same eyeline as the distance object.

§ Then slowly focus again on the distance object.

§ Repeat this 5 times.

Imagine a Sausage

§ Hold your two index fingers around 15cm from your face so that they are pointing at each other.

§ Focus on an object in the distance and slowly move your index fingers closer to each other. You’ll see a sausage in the middle of your two fingers.

§ Focus on your fingers.

§ Repeat this 5 times.


So basically, I'm gonna do these exercises every day, whenever my eyes are sore, and if my eyes never feel sore, I'll just do it minimum 3 times. There's another person who did this experiment too, you can click this link. It's really interesting.


OK, so I hope this'll work. Byebye!

No comments:

Post a Comment