Monday, August 29, 2011

Last day of Ramadhan

Assalamu’alaikum warahmatullahhi wabarokatuh

Good afternoon to you amazing blog readers out there!

I realized that I’ve never started any of my blogs with that, and since this it’s Ramadhan, I thought I might as well be a bit more religious haha.

Today is the last day of the holy month of Ramadhan. I’m somewhat happy about this because I won’t have to fast all day anymore, but I’m also sad to see Ramadhan go as I know that Ramadhan is a month of awesomeness too. However, if I’m lucky enough, I’ll be able to experience another month of Ramadhan next year.

Okay, so, fasting in Singapore is totally different from fasting in Indonesia.

In Singapore, it’s TOUGHER.

As I have said in one of my previous posts, the Muslim community is the minority in Singapore (although initially, the Malay Muslims were the ones occupying Singapore before the Indians and Chinese migrated to Singapore). Therefore, only a few people are fasting here. Which means that, fasting or not fasting, nothing around you changes. People still drink bubble teas as they walk on the streets, people can eat in front of you, disregarding the fact that you’re fasting. Sure, you can ask the person to not eat in front of you, but in my opinion, it just shows how weak you are. One of the aims of fasting is to understand what starving people go through every day, and what better way to experience this than watch other people eat in front of you? I know this sounds a bit off, but it’s true. In Indonesia, people won’t dare to eat in front of you, because most of the people are fasting. They’re more conscious to the fact that they have to respect the people who are fasting. Even restaurants have curtains so that the people fasting won’t have to witness the people eating in the restaurants. So… fasting is way easier in Indonesia. But you don’t learn as much as you do in Singapore.

In Indonesia, you can really FEEL THE VIBE.

When we have our morning meal (also referred to as sahur), there are TV shows in relation to sahur. And it’s on nearly every channel. Most of the channels have a comedy show thingy where top Indonesian comedians make jokes and all that stuff. There are also some religious shows, and there’s also a special drama TV series. In Singapore, I don’t really think there is any, or if there is, it mustn’t be that special because I haven’t heard of any. Oh, and in Indonesia, there are also break fast TV programmes.

If you go out on the streets, you will see loads of banners about special Ramadhan discounts, or special Ramadhan break fasting programmes. In school, you can go home earlier, usually by 1 hour or so, so that you can rest at home and not get too tired. In Singapore… as I said before, it’s like nothing changes.

That’s all for today. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO HOME ON THE 2nd of SEPTEMBER!

No comments:

Post a Comment